Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Preparing for 26.2 miles: Redefining Nourishment

As I make my way through round 2 of marathon training, I’ve come to think of nourishment in new ways.

Proper nourishment for the race is crucial for ensuring there is enough fuel to see it through to the end. Sure, you can get by on a short course using your reserves alone, but for the long haul you need to keep refilling to make up for expended energy. Be it water, electrolytes, or support and encouragement, this is the fuel needed to help rebuild energy and keep going.

I've gone through phases of ravenous hunger and skimpy appetite, needing to feed both my body and spirit as I've prepared to tackle 26.2 miles.  Nourishment isn’t limited to food, and fueling the soul is just as important as feeding your body. Certainly do not discount the importance of eating properly, which is something I’m only marginally good at myself, but you must feed your life in other ways as well to build overall strength. Terms like soul food and comfort food aren’t limited to what to eat, but they also incorporate the things that give happiness and hope, which in turn make life more fulfilling and secure.

Through my training I’ve been able to practice with different types of food plans and fluid options to find out what works best for me on the road and what is going to fuel me through Sunday’s marathon. Our coaches have given advice on how to eat this week in particular, to help stock up energy “in the bank” to call on during the race.  So while I’ve been building up my reserves of ample fluids and sodium, I’ve also been taking in all of the words of encouragement and praise for my hard work and the cause I’m running for. These are going to help nourish me through race day and beyond, these bits of comfort food for my soul that will rally my spirit when the end is nowhere in sight.

Just as food is a daily necessity that makes us stronger, so are the good things in life that we must seek out to build our sense of self.

No comments:

Post a Comment