Sunday, May 1, 2011

Starting Over

When embarking on a new journey, it helps to reflect if it’s one you’ve been on before.  Good times, bad experiences, things learned… though some lessons sink in gradually and become clearer and less painful as time passes.  As I start my new season of marathon training, I already know some tricks of the trade that worked for me last time but I’m open to new views and ways of taking on the miles.  Last time I also encountered injury; I want to improve on my past performance while I stay healthy and protect myself.  This will require even more determination and dedication than before.  The excitement of the other runners, the cheers from the crowd, and the sight of the finish line are all things that draw me back time and again (not to mention the medal!)  But to that I can add a cause, a calling to help, a bigger purpose.
Joining Team in Training will forever change my life; I’ve only been to a few events but can tell that together we will make an impact on countless others.  Hearing the stories of people that have undergone cancer treatment or lost loved ones makes the problems of my own world seem smaller, or at least somehow more manageable.  A longing to help, to reach out and do something will be answered in some small way by my participation in this group and the change and hope we will bring to those lives as well as our own.
We’ll start small and aim big, taking it one step at a time.  This is a challenge I will embrace in this new chapter of my life; I will be a better person for this experience and hope to encourage others on the way.  Go Team!

No comments:

Post a Comment