Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Saving Power of Running

As we were getting ready to start our TEAM practice yesterday morning, a young lady gave a personal account of her battle with cancer and how it has affected her life.  Any such story is always humbling, but it seems especially so when it's a first-hand account of the experience.  More than once she mentioned how much she loves running, and how it has saved her life.  I found myself nodding in agreement, completely aware of what she was talking about as that part has been the same for me.  Throughout the years running has been a comfort, a coping mechanism, an escape; taking these past few months off wore me down more than I realized because I was missing that outlet.

Running doesn't always get the credit it deserves.  I know it's not for everyone, but I often hear people shrug off running because they think it's boring - that just means they're doing it wrong!  I'm sure somebody somewhere has done some kind of analysis of the correlation between the advance of portable music and the increase in running, which is probably the easiest way to overcome some of the doubters.  I generally don't run with music, using the time to take everything in and let all of the problems of my world shift and settle in my subconscious.  They bounce around in there along with everything else and somehow leave me feeling a little more stable afterwards.  The fresh air, the sound of the birds, and the scenery (even on busy city streets!) all help renew my spirits as well.

Of course not enough can be said about the healthy side effects of running, and the 40+ pounds I've dropped weighed so much more on my sense of self than my frame.

But for me, the number one saving power of running is the feeling of accomplishment it's brought to my life.  When I'm on the road or the course, I'm there to push myself and test my limits; each new distance or PR gives me a sense of pride that's not as easily found elsewhere.  This in turn has revived my spirit time and again.

I'm happy to report that this young lady is in remission and back to running.  Her story was a great reminder of how powerful the sport is on our souls as well as our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment