Wednesday, June 1, 2011

National Running Day 2011

I've been anticipating today again this year; it’s now been a full year since I fully recommitted (again!) to running.  What have I learned?

I’m a lot stronger than I thought I was in some ways and I’m not nearly as strong as I thought I was in other ways. Most tests of strength are of the mind, not the body; this is especially true of the marathon.

Injuries are reminders to listen more closely to what’s really going on inside.

Learn to love the foam roller. Don’t skimp on stretching or good shoes. Cross-training is critical.

If you don’t have any skin in the game you won’t see it through. If it’s worth it to you, give it your all and you won’t regret the effort you put in, regardless if the outcome isn’t what you wanted.

You won’t always get what you want or achieve your goals on the first shot; sometimes they need to be reframed into something different before they can be realized.

You can’t wait for nice weather to go run, especially here! While outside won’t always be pleasant or warm or dry, the feeling of a good run will (mostly) outweigh the misery of the elements.

It takes a lot of guts to run a marathon; it takes a lot more than that to run another one.

Friends are good; good friends are better. Friends will come and go from your life, so it’s best to treasure your time with them while you have it.

Without all the bad times I would have never learned to enjoy the good times. Everything always works itself out in the end. (Thanks for that one Matt!)

Just start new and see where it leads you. (Thanks Tony!)

So I look forward to what this next year will bring, in running and in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment